Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Just keep thinking "Merry Christmas"

My kids and I wanted to give my Honey the same present, something that's a big deal for her and she's wanted for a long time. Well, we ended up getting it and giving it to her from all of us for an early Christmas present. She is thrilled with it! Which is good because I couldn't have kept it from her for long. She's very good at finding things when she wants to. I have a secret, special gift I'm giving her this year, and she knows I do, so she is constantly trying to find out what I'm getting for her. It's a game for her, to try to entice me, tickle-torture me (yes, I'm extremely ticklish!), play guessing games with me, etc. It's all a game to her. It took me a while to learn that she likes the game, and the heightened anticipation it brings, more than she really wants to know what I'm getting her. Besides, she can often figure out what she's getting, even if I don't say anything. She's just good like that!

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!! So does my Honey. No, we're not those annoying people who dress in red and green, light up the neighborhood with our house-lights, or go around caroling (well, even though I don't have a great voice, I'd go caroling if she wanted to.) We're more quiet about how we love Christmas. We talk about it all throughout the year. We sneak and plot and buy and hide gifts for our kids all year long (she usually has all of her Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving). We catch ourselves singing Christmas songs, too. I think our mutual love of Christmas cements our relationship even more.

When Christmas comes, we go a bit ape. The tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving (except that since my Honey manages a store, this year we put it up Thanksgiving Day, after sunset). We make cookies and candy galore (my Honey has been handling the temptation very well, and she looks good in her new jeans ;-) ). I'm like a kid in how much I like decorating cookies, and I do goofy things sometimes, but I have yet to decorate a gingerbread man as Mr. Spock, so my family has got to give me a little credit. (Besides, I wouldn't want to show off too much, Spock wouldn't approve.)
}:-|

We're not perfect people. We get more stressed at Christmas like everybody else. Traffic, crowded stores, long lines, overspending, dissatisfaction with purchases, etc. All the more reason why my better half has the better idea to finish shopping before the masses start (of course, you miss some good deals, but reduction in stress is worth it.) Yeah, Hon, next year we follow your plan to the letter!

No comments: